It’s beach read season – perhaps my favorite time of year! A time when everyone starts asking about book recommendations for their long flight, camping trip, or actual beach vacation. As an avid reader, I thought I’d share some of my beach read recommendations with you.
I hope summer brings some page-turning escapism for you to enjoy on a vacation or simply poolside at the gym. Happy reading!
I’d be remiss if I didn’t remind you of an excellent beach read that is my own novel, the ‘The Magic of Cape Disappointment’ where you can escape to Cape Disappointment reading a fantasy fairy-tale quality about true love, family, friendship, and the ties that bind us all closer together. Below are five recommendations for your next great summer beach read:
- Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman
- This book is absolutely one my favorite non-fiction books about travel. The author provides us with such an authentic view of travel, especially traveling solo. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves travel or who has lived abroad. Even if you only travel vicariously with Rita this summer, you’ll enjoy the trip!
- Austenland by Shannon Hale
- An escapist novel about a New York woman who takes a three-week vacation to “Austenland” in England, a Jane Austen theme park, where visitors can pretend they are living in Regency days of old an interact with Mr. Darcy and other characters. Such a fun novel for Austen fans!
- The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee by Marja Mills
This is an outstanding biographical work on Harper Lee. The author befriended Harper Lee and got to know her very well, and this book provides insight into Harper’s later years. Highly recommended for Mockingbird fans.
- Off Kilter by Hannah Reed
- This is a charming cozy mystery that takes readers to the Scottish Highlands. For those who enjoy a little vacation escapism with their mysteries like me, this book is for you. The mystery is well developed and will keep readers guessing until the closing chapters.
- Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart
- This book is charming and a lot of fun to read. Miranda’s comedy is woven throughout this very fun book. Recommended to anyone looking for a light read that’s sure to result in laughing out loud.